Sensorsview

Discussion in 'Tools & Utils' started by Grivage, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Grivage

Grivage [dSRC] Member

Hi all

Found this cool little proggy while i was having my tech woes yesterday. Monitors all your temps, voltages and fan speeds.

Ive never had a means of checking any of this before and found this to be Idiotproof ;)

2. Kryten

Kryten [dSRC] Member

I've always used Motherboard Monitor, but it takes a while to load on startup and has way more features than I need so I tried this.

It's much better, loads quickly and does exactly what I want which is to display the CPU temp in the tray. Thanks Griv! :D

3. Grivage

Grivage [dSRC] Member

Found a link for version 1.1

Seems identical here for me but i guess either more stuff is supported or there are some bug fixes. The maker's website is down due to exceeded bandwidth atm :D so i havent got any further info atm

4. BOGEY

BOGEY [dSRC] Member

My MB came with CoreControl, which already shows me the temps.
    I can manually control the RPM of my new fan, but ive always thought my PSU fan was going a bit slow. Does this proggy let you control speeds?

5. Grivage

Grivage [dSRC] Member

Nope Bogey it only monitors the speeds and lets u set alarms

6. Ian.H

Ian.H Administrator Staff Member

Hi lads..

I never tried this when it was posted back in the day, but grabbed a copy of it (albeit much newer) recently just because I happened to come across it while looking for something else and my box has been playing up recently.

I know there's a fair few hardware gurus here.. so can anyone tell me if I have anything to worry about from the attached screenshot?

The main reason I ask is sometimes, one of the fans (not sure if it's the case, CPU or GPU yet) sounds like a wheezy ol' man during a marathon and my box has been crashing quite regularly, although this may just be down to the fact of running intensive apps (normally crashes when I'm coding with BDS2006). Not being a hardware bod, I really have no idea how to truly read the output to obtain anything useful in a diagnostic manner :shrug:

Any thoughts appreciated :)

Regards,

Ian

Attached Files:

7. Eza

Eza [dSRC] Member

from that i can tell your +12V line is running quite low, maybe PSU is starting to get old?

8. Ian.H

Ahh.. I've been thinking about power for a while too. I have a feeling rather than being old, I'm straining it.

It's a standard PSU (whatever that might be, heh).. but it's running with about 6 USB devices currently plugged in (wheel, mouse, keyboard, 500Gb HDD, phone cable, printer, etc). The HDD and printer do have their own power supplies so maybe this isn't the case.

I guess the other contributing factor is smokin in the room.. although just given up again :) I'll give it a proper clean out at the weekend again and see if those values change at all.

Thanks Eza.. that's how lame I am with hardware.. I didn't even spot that :-[

Regards,

Ian

9. Kryten

Kryten [dSRC] Member

It also says -12V rail is 0.14V. That can't be right, surely?

10. Bladerunner

Bladerunner [dSRC] Member

Just downloaded and tried SensorsView Pro 3.1

It DIDN'T detect my fans (all connected to Mobo correctly :()
    It DIDN'T get the temps right...(even accounting for discrepency between core temp and external)

Gave MY +12v rail as only kicking 11.5 (Got a brand spankers Storm 700w PSU with modular supply rails :()

For comparison I was using Asus Probe..supplied with mobo, I would assume that THEY know best on how to monitor temps/speeds/voltages etc on an Asus mobo!!

My advice Ian, after cleaning the PSU, try a few different monitor proggys
    :)

11. Ian.H

Thanks for the further info lads :)

This is the first (only) app I've ever tried like this.. never bothered before as my previous box was so old (PII) that it it went bang, it all but deserved to :D (actually still does a great task of acting as a firewall / router) :cool:

I'll have a scout around for some other tools too to be able to do a comparison and hopefully end up with more reliable results.

Anyone happen to know of any off hand that might be worth trying?

Regards,

Ian

12. Bladerunner

Bladerunner [dSRC] Member

*IF* You got an Intel chipset, I have heard good things about "Thermal Analysis Tool"...but it's ONLY for Intel chipsets....
    Another I have heard of is Everest...bit heavy for me..I could never work out how to configure it :)
    If all else fails SiSoft Sandra is always a good fallback!

13. Eza

Eza [dSRC] Member

I have also heard thing like BIOS :p no need any apps, just go and check voltages from there

14. Ian.H

No Intel chipset.. some 'VIA' thing it seems... but I forgot I have a copy of Everest (didn't know that did this kinda stats). I'll have a look over the weekend :)

I hadn't even thought about the BIOS Eza. It's years since I looked at it here, but will have a gander there too :nerd: :cool:

Regards,

Ian