HostHist.exe 0.0.1 released

Discussion in 'Host History' started by -Ed-, Jan 12, 2005.

1. -Ed-

-Ed- [dSRC] Member

Hi

With much guidance from Ian, I've ported his host_history.pl into C & managed to persuade it to build in Visual C++. The result is a command line .exe which I have tested to run under Win98 & WinXP Home.
    It's use if kind of limited, as it will only produce the standard large & small graphs in the style of this website.

What it does:
    The program reads the host63392.txt file generated by the LFS Host & updates a 24 hour log 'hourly_history.log' file with the basic state of the host & the drivers connected. If the 'hourly_history.log' file does not exist (eg first time run) then it will be created.
    The contents of the 'hourly_history.log' file are then used to generate the small & large versions of the graph & save them as 'driver_history_small.png' &
    'driver_history_large.png' respectively
    The program should be run once per minute for the 24 hour time span to be correct.

Requirements:
    HostHist.exe - attatched as HostHist.zip below
    bgd.dll - graphics library found here. See http://www.boutell.com/gd for details.

Usage:

HostHist [dest] [source] [alpha]

dest: path of folder for graph images
    source: path to folder containing host63392.txt
    hourly_history.log is also written to this folder
    alpha: 1 = use transparent background
    else(default) white background

If no path(s) given, folder of exe is used

I havent posted the source code, as it is hardly model code, but it is available if anyone wants it, to modify / hack about or whatever.

Ed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  2. Ian.H

Ian.H Administrator Staff Member

Great work Ed! thanks for porting this over... you did all the hardwork for it :)

Now pretty much all OSes should be covered.

Regards,

Ian

3. franky500

franky500 New Member

Hi, This is perfect as i could never get the host history.pl to work.

However i have only one problem.

Is there any way to get this to work with the host file being anything other than host63392.txt (eg host63393.txt 63394.txt ect ect ect)

Thanks.

4. -Ed-

-Ed- [dSRC] Member

Hi franky

It's hardcoded as 'host63392.txt' I'm afraid, but you have 3 options:

1) Hack the exe & change the host63392.txt name if you can find it. :eek:
    2) PM me an email address & I'll send you the source code to play with (it's pretty straightforward).
    3) If you aren't a programmer, I can modify it to accept a name as well as the path.

Ed

I love when a thread sleeps for 'a while' & then someone finds it. 8o)

5. franky500

franky500 New Member

Hey ed. Thanks for the fast reply.

option 3 would be brilliant if possible.

I found it in the EXE but have no idea how to edit it or what to edit it to.(not a programmer here but normally work things out)

I wouldnt mind having a look at the source code at all. admin@500servers.com would be fine if you do get a chance to send that. If not. Not to worry.

Thanks for your reply. i actually expected it to be unanswered (knowing how busy some of you guys can get)

6. -Ed-

-Ed- [dSRC] Member

No problem. 8o)

I'll make the change - should only be a 5 minute job - & send it on, along with the source. It will be in a few days as I don't have VC++ installed at home at the moment.

Ed

7. -Ed-

-Ed- [dSRC] Member

Well, I found a copy of C++, so went ahead & changed it. Wasn't exactly a 5 minute job (are they ever?) as I found a few bugs along the way. :-[ :D

Anyway, here it is attached. Much the same as it was (requires GD.DLL) though with a couple of minor changes to where files are written to. Run it with ' /?' to see how it works now.
    I included the source - the program is all in 'HostHist.cpp' - all the rest is the GD library files.

I gave it a quick test, and it seemed to work. If you have any trouble, just shout up.

Ed

Attached Files:

8. franky500

franky500 New Member

Thats brilliant.

Thanks alot for that.

Is there anywhere i should link to when i stick the graphs up on a webpage.?

Thanks for the help, I have just managed to edit the origional EXE also so that i can rename what the graphs get called too. Quite handy.

9. -Ed-

-Ed- [dSRC] Member

How do you mean?

10. franky500

franky500 New Member

Where would you like me to link to. as a credit?

eg, "Graphs powered by host-history by -Ed- of DSRC"